Monday 2 March 2015

Photographer Research- Liam Frankland

Liam Frankland

I have chosen to study Liam Frankland's work as I like the fact that he uses an object from everyday life and uses locations in the background to create an effective photo. Through his work the item is in focus whilst the rest of the photo is out of focus but still it is suggestive of human presence. The items used in his photos are also evidence of the different age and gender of person.
The item in this photograph is a bike which has been left behind in rocks on the start of a beach. The fact that the bike has signs of rust on it suggests that it has been there for a length of time but the fact that it is buried within the rocks may be suggestive that someone had fallen from it. Within this picture there are signs of texture, shape and form. The texture is demonstrated by the rocks and the ground in front of the rocks whilst form is demonstrated by the shadows on the rocks.


This picture shoes that a wellington boot has been left behind. The boot itself is suggestive that the boot belongs to a young child but also a girl, this is from the size and colour. In the background, there is a building in the distance but also street lights. The elements present in this photo are colour, pattern and depth. Depth is shown by the pathway moving into the distance.


This is evidence of age as dentures are mainly associated with the elderly. The fact that they have been picked up from the ground suggests that they have been found by someone. In this photo the formal elements used are colour, pattern and texture. The wooden post demonstrates texture and pattern whilst the teeth and background show colour.


This is a lost shoe in a puddle, the shoe appears to wet so is evidence that it has been left in the rain. There isn't any location sown in this photo because the reflection in the puddle is of a cloudy sky which is evidence of weather. Within the puddle is a clear reflection of the shoe. There is colour and reflection shown in this photograph.

Liam Frankland looks at locations and objects, I would like to incorporate this into my work. To do this I will photograph the same object in different locations but then use more specific objects associated with the locations. I will ensure that the item is the main focus in the photo and that the background is blurred. In the photos I take I will try to show colour and texture as these are the main ones occurring throughout his work.

To summarise, so far in my work I feel that it does show elements of Liam Frankland's work, especially in my beach shoot where I have focused on the background used and how the sense of depth can be created. Also, I have looked at using different objects in different shoots to see how they make the photographs effective. Further in my work I plan on looking at specific objects related to specific types of people of different ages, for example toys and walking sticks. 
Overall, there are influences of his work in mine and these include focusing on singular objects which are suggestive of human presence. There are also many of the same formal elements which occur in mine as him although they may not be as prominent as they are in his. These include reflection, colour, depth and texture. As a result of this I feel that his work has influenced my work in this topic. In addition, I have also focussed on including the locations within the backgrounds of the photographs.Thus I feel that Liam Frankland's work has influenced me.

No comments:

Post a Comment